Matzo Ball Soup
- Blend the egg yolks with the chicken stock, chicken fat or vegetable oil, and stir gently with a fork until the yolks break. The ingredients should be simply mixed and not completely “beaten.” Set aside. In a large bowl, add the parsley, dill, onion, pepper, salt and matzo meal and mix until everything is incorporated. Set aside
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form stiff peaks, and set aside.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until everything is simply incorporated and then whisk in the egg whites gently. The trick is not to “over mix” or they will become tough. Place in the refrigerator and let cool for about a half hour.
- In a large, coverable pot, bring water to a boil. Wet hands and form the batter into golf-ball sized orbs, and place into the boiling water. Cover and lower heat to medium-low and simmer the balls for approximately 25 minutes.
- Matzo balls are traditionally served in homemade chicken soup with carrots, celery and onion and dill, but you can serve them in any chicken-broth based soup. My recipe for homemade chicken soup is below.
Shipping is free when you spend $75 or more! Dismiss