- Take the outer leaves off and set aside. You will use them to line your pan in the baking step. Then gently remove 6-10 of the larger leaves or as many as you want to make.
- In a bowl combine turkey, ½ cup of pumpkin purée, pre-cooked rice, egg, 1 tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp of chili powder, tsp of salt and ½ tsp of pepper. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a deep pan, sauté garlic and onion in enough olive oil to coat for one minute. Turn heat to medium and add 1 tbsp of curry powder, tsp of chili powder, three tsp of lemon juice and tsp each of salt and pepper. Continue to sauté for another minute. Add 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup Sherry wine, 2 pats of butter and stir in rest of lemon juice. Let simmer for 2 minutes or so. Add 1 cup of pumpkin purée, stir to incorporate into sauce and simmer for another two minutes. Take off heat and set aside.
CONSTRUCTING THE STUFFED Cabbage
- Gently blanche the usable cabbage leaves until pliable. Next, carefully cut out the center vein from the leaves so they will be easier to roll up. Take the reserved big outer leaves and lay them on the bottom of a casserole pan, let part of the leaves hang out the sides of the pan. This insulation will prevent the cabbage rolls from burning on the bottom when baked. Use all the good-looking leaves to make the cabbage rolls. Put about cup of the meat filling in the center of the cabbage and starting at what was the stem-end, fold the sides in, and roll up the cabbage to enclose the filling. Place the cabbage rolls side by side in rows, seam-side down, in a casserole pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Pour sauce on top of cabbage rolls and bake for an hour.
- SERVE ‘EM, [email protected]!