October 18, 2018
Homemade Bagel Recipe
- 1 1/2 small bags yeast (11 gms or .4 oz.)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 375 grams unbleached flour this is about 3 cups, but best to measure with a scale.
- 25 grams Malt Flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Put dry yeast into hot water with a pinch of sugar and leave until it forms min 1" of foam.
- Mix flour with salt, malt flour, 1/2 tsp sugar and olive oil into the mixer and add the yeast solution.
- Mix well and then split into 8 equal portions and form a ball with each.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 18-24 hours and then let sit on the countertop for 2-3 hours to rise further before using.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil
- Add any fillings like dried onion, garlic, sesame seeds, etc. to your bagel dough and incorporate it into the dough by kneading the dough.
- Form it back into a ball and smooth out the dough as best you can. the smoother the dough, the smoother the bagel.
- Once in a ball, use your thumb to poke a hole and make it a pronounced hole.
- Place bagel into boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Take out and top with any toppings and then place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before using and slicing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.