Learning to Love Your Leftovers!
Tips for using your leftovers to make meals you will love to eat again!
Ok, so you succeeded in making enough food to feed the freeloaders you call friends and family for two weeks. Don’t fret! This just means your next few meals are halfway cooked. Don’t you dare throw anything out.
It’s time to think creatively. Under no circumstance should you throw out leftovers just because you want something different. There are so many things you can do with leftovers to create new and exciting dishes. You can make soups, pastas, stews, you name it! Spice up your leftovers and create a whole new meal that you will love to eat again. Now, get back in that kitchen! We’re not done yet!
- Steamed and Sautéed Vegetables are great for soups, stews and pasta sauces.
- You can puree leftover vegetables, and veggie casseroles with some cream or milk to make a delicious cream of veggie base for soups or even add it to a mac and cheese dish or a scalloped potato side for our next meal.
- Turn leftover veggies and casseroles into veggie burgers and croquettes!
- Have leftover herbs? Blanche them and freeze them in oil in ice cube trays to use for sauteing. Freeze them in the water you blanched them in for soups and stews.
- Freezing gravies and braising liquids give you an easy, quick and delicious base for soups and stews for those nights when you get home from work and just can’t get your ass into the kitchen to cook a full meal. Just take the gravy or liquid, add them to sautéed meats and vegetables and you have an instant stew in 30 minutes. Go You!
- Save and freeze meat drippings for instant flavor in all of your dishes. Use it to sauté with or add flavor to sauces, soups and stews.
- Boil unused marinades and add them to soups and stews. Note: Never reuse marinades to marinate meat, but if you boil it, you can reuse the flavors in stir-fries, soups, Stews, and rice dishes and gravies!
- Cut leftover meats into chunks or cubes, then portion them into cup and two-cup measurements. Wrap tightly with tinfoil, place into plastic bags and then freeze. This way you can defrost them in portions and use them in stir-fries, soup, chili, stew and pasta sauces.
- Use leftover meats to create amazing taco and quesadilla and pizza dishes.
- Use leftover meats in fried rice dishes. No need to make them Asian flavored, but you can make any flavor fried rice like Mexican, Italian, etc. just fry the rice and add your desired flavor!
- Make them into stuffed pastries by using puff pastry or biscuit dough.
- Stuff them into egg roll wrappers and pan fry them!
- Make amazing stuffed peppers from your leftovers!
We can’t wait to have you all back in the kitchen when this global crisis is over! We hope you will help support us and keep our doors open during this time by purchasing items and gift cards in our store. Use Code GETMEINTHEKITCHEN for 15% off everything including Gift Cards! See all of the amazing stuff in our store AT THIS LINK