July 21, 2018
Toasted Reuben Egg Rolls
Pan-Fried Ruben Dumplings
If you take the delicious flavor of a Ruben Sandwich and wrap it up in an egg roll then bread and pan fry it, what do you have? Awesomeness. That's what you have. Awesomeness.
- Egg Roll Wrappers defrosted
- 2-3 tbsp canola oil for pan-frying
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup flour
for the filling
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut drained
- 1 cup corned beef or chicken chopped or in strips
- 1/2 cup Swiss Cheese finely shredded
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 green onion diced finely
for the Russian Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 pickle spear diced fine (optional)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dill
- Combine sauerkraut, chopped corned beef or chicken , Swiss cheese, caraway seeds and half of the green onion in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Prepare Russian dressing by combining all ingredients in a bowl, mixing thoroughly and add to the sauerkraut mixture. Save some for dipping.
- Take an Egg Roll wrapper and place it on a plate in a diamond fashion.
- Place about 2-3 tbsp filling about an inch above the diamond point at the bottom.
- Then take the point and roll around filling one full rotation so the point is firmly under the filling. Then fold in the sides, wetting the edge a bit and then continue to roll, wetting the final point to seal.
- Beat the egg into a shallow bowl and combine the flour, breadcrumbs a pinch of caraway seeds, and a 1/2 tsp salt into a plate.
- Once all the Egg Rolls have been made, heat the canola oil in a frying pan. Dip the egg rolls into egg, then flour mixture and then Pan fry the dumplings on each side for 2-3 minutes until they become nice and golden brown.
- Take off the heat, uncover and let sit for 5 minutes before serving and serve with some Russian dressing.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!